Brisbane Architect providing architectural service in design,construction, building of commercial and residential projects.
is a small boutique practice formed to offer a quality architectural service to clients. Our clients fall into two categories.
Firstly there are those:
- that do not know what they want and need help crystallizing their vision
- who have no knowledge of the process and need an objective guiding hand
- who have time limitations - too busy working often in their own business
- who have geographic limitations - often interstate or away overseas
- who have lots of time and want to really enjoy the process
- who want their first house to be everything they can afford
- who want their last house to be everything they can afford
- who want to transform their current property
- who have heard all about our quality services from friends or family
- who have heard all about our quality services from business associates
Secondly there are those who have used our services
- and made money as a consequence and wish to replicate
- have experienced our life enhancing built environments for a commercial project and wish to replicate for a domestic project and vice versa
Ironically though the vast majority of our clients never sell
the majority of our work is repeat business
in a different sector. This is because whether it is for residential, commercial or industrial development our first priority is to ensure we maximize
our client’s return
on their investments through good design by creating a timeless design that is:
- stylish without being merely fashionable
- environmentally responsible
- structurally efficient
- cost effective
can provide the following services:
- Architecture including:
- Feasibility analysis;
- Construction documentation;
- Contract administration;
- Calling tenders and negotiating with Contractors;
- Applications to and negotiations with Authorities;
- Budget reviews, estimates and feasibility studies;
- Project planning and management;
- 3D Computer Modelling of sites and buildings;
- 3D Renderings and Walkthroughs
- Town Planning - Development Applications;
- Interior design;
- Landscape design;
- Fully integrated projects.
Ours is a service industry and therefore our overriding priority is to provide our valued Clientele with the service they require. We always try to give our Clients more
than they expect.
Every effort is made to ensure that every job meets the budget and time constraints. We have an outstanding record in this respect though we consider the long term investment more important than the initial cost.
The character of the building industry is constantly changing. The traditional ways of doing things are no longer appropriate. We try to keep up with these changes and provide services appropriate to today's needs. Today this means more than the ability to contact via mobile phones or faxes but the facility to send correspondence, digital photos and 3D computer models and drawings via the net to all parts of the globe.
We have successfully and continue to undertaken large projects for absentee clients form as far a field as the Rockies in USA. Though we have undertaken projects as far away as Port Moresby we prefer the project to be local. By local we mean all the way from the Gold Coast though up to Noosa and west to Boonah - with the majority in the greater Brisbane area.
Our business and our design follow the same philosophy - we have an integrated approach to both.
In our practice, we do not believe it is appropriate to have separate specialist Design Architects, Documentation Architects and Administration Architects; we believe that all factors should be considered together, not in isolation. Each job is overseen from inception to completion by the same competent persons.
In design, we believe that Town Planning, landscaping, interior design, and site, climatic and social considerations are all an inextricable part of 'Architecture'. None should be considered in isolation.
Our standard procedures of quality reviews are implemented at each stage of every project. This enables us to provide a consistently
high standard of professional service. Our basic philosophy is to do it right the first time!
The practice has built its base on experience and this determination to "do it right the first time". To achieve this goal, it is the practice's philosophy to ask the hard questions up front, to identify the parameters of the problem fully before
attempting to find a solution. This approach ensures a better solution to all problems, including the areas in which the practice has no experience. Previously used solutions are not simply replicated, but are analysed from first principles to establish whether they are appropriate in the present context, or can be improved either by minor adjustments or by radical revision.
This method has ensured that all clients are satisfied with the end product as well as it being good value for money.
The practice has a policy of tailoring its infrastructure to meet the needs of the project at hand, thereby enabling overheads to be kept to an absolute minimum. We have selected and assembled an Atelier of equally qualified, committed and capable architects and draftsmen from which we can draw for assistance on larger projects on an as-needs basis. These associations extend offshore where we have successfully completed larger projects on budget despite the restrictions of building techniques (materials and labour), exchange rates and cultural issues.
Savings resulting from lower overheads and unnecessary travel and accommodation costs are passed on to our clients in the form of lower fees.
The business uses 'state of the art' computers for all office work, accounting, spreadsheets and feasibility analysis'. In addition, the transition from 'the drawing board' to fully computerized design and drawing is complete. The practice is a licensed AUTOCAD and REVIT user. These programs permit full 3D modelling of the site and the buildings, renderings and walk-throughs at design stage or during documentation. Not only are all employees fully computer literate they also have a close association with others in the industry including T.A.F.E. lecturers. The practice is currently developing an "add on" to enhance the power of Revit. As the most widely used and universally accepted standard data exchange software it permits members of the team to share real 3D data with the Consultants.
The Principals have a wide range of experience which may be summarised into the following categories:
- Housing: many and varied housing projects have been designed and/or documented, including individual, custom-built houses and innovative, cost-effective medium density housing for a variety of markets, with special emphasis on developing and applying 'Green' principles;
- Government projects: we are familiar with the requirements and strict expectations of government and semi-government organisations and have been involved in working for and with the government on several projects including office accommodation, community health centres and community housing (units);
- Childcare centres: we have designed and documented many childcare centres over the past twenty years and are fully conversant with the regulations pertaining to childcare centres;
- Educational Institutions: mainly Schools and Colleges, with involvement in many projects in a variety of roles and variety of scales of projects, from designing and documenting minor renovations to designing and master-planning an entire new campus;
- Commercial and industrial: ranging from individual shops and fit-outs to offices and ‘high tech’ factory/warehouses;
- Recreational projects: ranging from recreational and hospitality projects to resorts. Experience extends to involvement with many substantial residences in “Planned Communities”. This work has led to involvement in development projects where the buildings and sites have been considered in the design of the subdivision.
For more information on experience, ask us for details. We would be pleased to provide you with a complete list of our experience on specific projects.
The Director of has over twenty years experience in the architectural profession, with an additional five years experience in the related fields of landscaping and civil engineering. Mark Wilson holds the following qualifications and skills:
- Associate Diploma in Civil Engineering from Queensland Institute of Technology in 1980;
- Bachelor of Architecture from Queensland Institute of Technology in 1986;
- Board of Architects Queensland, 2253
- 5 years employment as an Engineering Draftsman;
- 25 years employment in the architectural profession;
- Fellow of the Royal Australian Institute of Architects.
Architects Black & Wilson August 2013 eNewsletter